Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

What Should I Do If My Ex Stopped Paying Child Support in Florida?


Under Florida law (Chapter 61.30), parents have a legal duty to provide basic financial support for their children. If you are a parent who has custody of your child, you may be entitled to receive child support from your former partner. Unfortunately, once you obtain a child support award, you may still run into trouble actually getting the payments that are owed to you. There are many cases in which a parent, for whatever reason, will fall behind on their child support obligations.

While this can be deeply frustrating, you should know that you have legal options available to you. At the Law Offices of Gale H. Moore P.A., our experienced Clearwater child support enforcement attorney has helped many parents obtain compensation for overdue child support. Here, we highlight three of the most important things that you need to know about enforcing a child support order or agreement in Florida.

  1. You Need to Take Action to Protect Your Rights

First and foremost, all Florida parents should know that child support orders and child support agreements are not self-enforcing. If your former partner has stopped paying child support, and you simply fail to take action, you are unlikely to receive payment at all. You need to consult with a qualified Clearwater child support lawyer who can help you file a ‘Motion for Civil Contempt’. This will get your case moving forward in the legal process. 

  1. The Florida Department of Revenue Has Many Enforcement Tools Available

In filing your legal motion, you will be required to prove that your former partner has actually failed to comply with their child support obligations. If you are successful, there are many tools that you can use to collect payment. Ideally, your former partner will settle the case, and agree to pay the past due balance. Alternatively, you may need to work with your attorney and the Florida Department of Revenue to obtain a wage garnishment, a property lien, or even to intercept a tax return.  

  1. You Can Still Collect Past Due Child Support From an Out-of-State Parent

All 50 U.S. states have adopted the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. Under this law, your former partner cannot get out of a child support obligation by moving out of state. In fact, if you already have a child support order or agreement in Florida, no other state can issue an additional ruling on your case, unless you also move out of the state of Florida. The bottom line: There are legal tools available to help you get overdue child support from an out-of-state parent.

Contact Our Clearwater Enforcement Attorneys Today  

At the Law Office of Gale H. Moore P.A., we have the skills and experience needed to help you collect overdue child support. If your former partner stopped making child support payments, please contact us today at 727-584-2528 to schedule a fully confidential review of your case. From our office in Largo, we represent parents throughout the region, including in Clearwater, Indian Rocks Beach, St. Petersburg, Oldsmar, and Safety Harbor.




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn