Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Can You Hold A Co-Parent In Contempt If they Keep Violating A Child Custody Order In Florida?


For divorced or separated parents, a custody order can bring a sense of stability. Unfortunately, some parents are stuck dealing with a former parent who will not abide by the terms of the order. This raises an important question: What can you do if your co-parent keeps violating custody? The short answer is that you have the right to enforce the order—and you may need to do so through a Motion for Contempt. Here, our Largo child custody lawyer explains the key things to know about holding a co-parent accountable for repeated violations of a custody order in Florida.

The First Step is Always to Consider Your Options for Voluntary Compliance 

When a co-parent is violating a child custody order, it can be a difficult and stressful situation. You are absolutely justified in feeling frustrated by the situation. At the same time, it is generally best to try to find a low-conflict, collaborative solution. Indeed, the first step in dealing with a violation of a custody order is generally to consider your options for voluntary compliance. Among other things, this may include talking to the other parent and/or seeking mediation.

 Know Your Rights: A Child Custody Order is Binding and Enforceable

 Your parental rights matter. It is crucial to emphasize that a child custody order is binding in Florida. Both parents who are subject to a custody order in Florida are legally obligated to comply with the terms of the order. In other words, it is enforceable. If your co-parent is violating the terms of the custody order, you have the right to take action. If the other parent is not complying with the order, you have the right to take legal action to enforce the order and hold them accountable.

Your Options for Enforcing a Child Custody Order in Florida 

So how do you hold a co-parent accountable for complying with a custody order if they simply refuse to do so? Here are your two main legal options for enforcing a custody order in Florida:

  • A Motion for Enforcement: You can file a Motion for Enforcement in family law court. A Motion for Enforcement requests the court to compel a parent to comply with the existing custody order/agreement.
  • A Motion for Contempt: A Motion for Contempt is another option. As defined by the Legal Information Institute, contempt is the “disobedience of an order of a court.” It is a very serious matter.

Contact Our Largo, FL Child Custody Attorney Today

At the Law Office of Gale H. Moore P.A., our Largo child custody lawyer is committed to protecting the parental rights of our clients. If you have any questions or concerns about dealing with a co-parent who repeatedly violates a custody order, we are more than ready to help. Give us a call now or contact us today for a confidential, no obligation consultation. We provide child custody representation in Largo, Clearwater, and throughout Pinellas County more broadly.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn